Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My plans as a Giggleswickian...

My great great great grandparents were my most recent "born in Giggleswick" ancestors. However, I feel very much as if I am a true Giggleswickian...

When I visited England this summer, I made three trips to visit Giggleswick, Settle, Langcliffe and Stackhouse. I was not able to visit everywhere that I would have liked to visit... but I did go to the Settle Workhouse (actually located in Giggleswick: now a hospital...) Walked the hills of Langcliffe. Visited the local churches. I even visited Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe. I had a wonderful time.

Currently, I'm working on a project to trace where Giggleswickians settled after the Langcliffe mills closed around the year 1855...

In the future, I am hoping to basically trace all major Giggleswickian families through the British Census as well as link them with the Parish records. (Essentially completing a Population study...)

I may try to contact the North Riding County Record Office. Perhaps they will exchange a copy of some of their records (they have extracted the whole parish) in exchange for me completing the genealogical research.

I have a copy of the Settle Chapelry burials which is only published locally. It is a real treasure and would be a great asset to tracing all the families of Giggleswick.

No comments: