Monday, October 22, 2007

Agnes Morphet married a Nutter...

Yesterday I had a breakthrough with tracing a newfound member of my family.

This summer I came across this little girl in England... I thought I'd found the whole family. Turns out, I was wrong!

Stainforth Parish
Page 3, No. 20
7 April 1844
Agnes, daughter of Matthew and Grace Morphet
Abode: Stainforth
Occupation of Father: Labourer
Performed by William Richardson, Incumbent.

In 1848, both of her parents died in a workhouse leaving Agnes an orphan at about age four and a half. Agnes was the youngest sister of my great great great grandmother, Ellen Alice Morphet. She was the daughter of Matthew Morphet and Grace Sharp.

In 1851, she was living with an Aunt Mary (Sharp) who was at the time married to John Ireland and living in Langcliffe. In 1861, Agnes was working at a servant to a Gaoler (Jailer) in Walmgate.

After that, I didn't know what happened to her...

That is when I did some clever searching on http://www.ancestry.com/ in their UK Census Collection. I found her in 1871, 1881 and 1891. She evidently lived in Durham, Hunslet, Yorkshire and Sabden, Lancashire during this time. She moved a lot! She married Eli Nutter. I cannot find her on the 1901 census but the name Nutter is repeatedly misspelled on indexes.

She also lived in a place called North Meols. I haven't checked to find where this is located. Its somewhere in Lancashire but must be an area in Lancashire I've never looked! Its not familiar to me.

I am happy that Agnes' history is a little more explained now.

No comments: