Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Metcalfs in ... Canada?

One of my projects has been tracing the descendants of the Morphet family in Canada. For one line, my fourth great aunt Jane Morphet (daughter of Jonathan Morphet and Ellen Jackman) moved to Canada about 1845)

In the IGI I found Jane's marriage to George Metcalf. For those who read my blog regularly regarding my findings, you might remember that a man named George Metcalfe is an ancestor of mine in Yorkshire. The connection between the two Georges isn't known however its possible there is a connection. My ANCESTOR George Metcalfe had a son named John (same name as this other George's father) but I am not sure if the two Johns are the same making this George Metcalf the grandson of my ancestor George Metcalfe.

If it was true, I'd be excited... but George Metcalfe is a rather common name. If his name was Behelzebub I'd be more likely to connect the two.

George and Jane had a son William George who was stabbed by one of his lunatic asylum patients. A history on his life led me to finding the rest of his family in Canada.

Although not complete, this is what I have regarding their family thus far...

Family Group Sheet
Husband: George METCALF
Birth: 1 Sep 1808 Horton in Ribblesdale Parish, Horton in Ribblesdale, Yorkshire
Chr: 2 Oct 1808 Horton in Ribblesdale Parish, Horton in Ribblesdale, Yorkshire
Census: 6 Jun 1841 Austwick, Yorkshire, England
Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
Marriage: 8 Jun 1835 Clapham, Yorkshire, England
Father: John METCALF ( - ) Mother: Maria TIPLADY ( - )==========================================================================================Wife: Jane MORPHET
Chr: 9 Feb 1812 Giggleswick Parish, Giggleswick, Yorkshire, England
Census: 6 Jun 1841 Austwick, Yorkshire, England
Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
Death: 1 Jan 1885 Old Age; Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Father: Jonathan MORPHET ( - ) Mother: Ellen JACKMAN ( - )==========================================================================================Children==========================================================================================1 M John METCALF Chr: 11 Feb 1836 Clapham, Yorkshire, England Census: 6 Jun 1841 Austwick, Yorkshire, England
Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
Death: 11 Apr 1914 Bright's Disease; Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spouse: Ellen HOARE (1850- ) Marriage: 2 Jun 1874 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

2 M Jonathan METCALF Chr: 30 Sep 1838 Horton in Ribblesdale Parish, Horton in Ribblesdale, Yorkshire
Census: 6 Jun 1841 Austwick, Clapham, Yorkshire, England
Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
Death: 17 Feb 1919 General Debility and Old Age; Whitby, Ontario, Canada

3 F Elinor METCALF Chr: 10 May 1841 Horton in Ribblesdale Parish, Horton in Ribblesdale, Yorkshire
Census: 6 Jun 1841 Austwick, Clapham, Yorkshire, England Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada

4 F Mary Ann METCALF Chr: 7 Apr 1844 Horton in Ribblesdale Parish, Horton in Ribblesdale, Yorkshire
Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada

5 M William George METCALF Birth: abt 1846 of, Canada Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada

6 F E.J. METCALF Birth: abt 1849 of, Canada
Census: 1851 Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada

7 M Richard Henry METCALF Birth: abt 10 Aug 1854 of, Canada Death: 23 Jan 1928 Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio
Spouse: Emily Effron KELLY (1860- )
Marriage: 1 Jan 1880 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

8 M James Morphet METCALF Birth: abt 1858 of, Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
Spouse: Emma METCALF (1861- )
Marriage: 14 Oct 1896 London, Middlesex, Canada ========================================================================================== Prepared 13 Feb 2008

This is by no means complete. I believe "E.J." is Elizabeth J. I believe that one of the daughters married a Galloway, though I forget which.

Richard Henry Metcalf made his way to the United States. He lived in Kentucky and then died in Cincinnatti and is interred in Kentucky, where I believe his wife must be buried as well.

I have almost no Canadian research skills! But I am doing my best.

If you are related to this family, I have copies of all the pertinent documents including some of the grandchildren for George and Jane. I would appreciate information from you to supplement what I know about the family.

THANK YOU!

No comments: