Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Latest News on my Giggleswickians

I often have new discoveries on my Giggleswick lines which I do not document here. In fact, I find something new about every week... Usually by tracing descendants of my families.

A few days ago, I discovered two marriages which intrigued me... The following is the most interesting.

From Clapham Church Records, FHL Film: 1849279
Page 91
Marriages in the parish of Clapham in York in the year 1835
George Metcalfe of this Parish, Husbandman and a Bachelor and Jane Morphet of this Parish, spinster, were married in the church by License this eight day of June in the year One Thousand eight hundred and thirty ive by me: Ja. Robinson, Curate. This marriage was solemnized between us: George Metcalfe's mark and Jane Morphet. In the presence of: Ann Morphet and James Metcalfe's Mark.
No. 173.

Doing a parent-search on the IGI, I discovered four children:

John Metcalf, C. 14 Feb 1836 in Clapham
Elinor Metcalfe C. 10 May 1841 in Horton in Ribblesdale
Jonathan Metcalf, C. 30 Sep 1838 in Horton in Ribblesdale
Mary Ann Metcalfe 07 April 1844 in Horton in Ribblesdale

I quickly found this couple living in Austwick on the 1841 census but then following then, they disappeared!

I did some google searching and learned that this family evidently emigrated to Ontario, Canada back in about 1845-1846.

This is actually the third sibling in a family of 11 that I have proven moved to Canada. I actually think more of them left as well but I have yet to prove it just yet. Jane's sister Agnes Morphet who married Edmund Morphet and brother Robert who married a woman whose name was, I think, Isabell if I remember right. All settled in Canada.

My ancestor, their eldest brother Matthew, died in 1848. His orphaned daughter Ellen Alice Morphet married a Hudson in Accrington and became my great great great grandmother.

My 4th great aunt Jane Morphet Metcalf lived in Uxbridge, Canada in 1851.

I am still working on solving what happened to them. My knowledge of Canadian genealogy is limited. In fact, its essentially non-existant. I am hoping to find some information on them later this semester.

Another interesting note to this puzzle if that my 5th great grandfather was named George Metcalfe. He was the father of Ellen Alice Morphet's mother in law, Dorothy Metcalf.

Is this George Metcalf who settled in Uxbridge also my distant cousin?

If anyone is a member of the Metcalfe\Metcalf society, I'd appreciate knowing if you can find any information on these families!

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Brad I am so glad you are still doing this. It made me happy to see updates on dear old Giggleswick. I like your picture of you on the bridge too. Is that the one you had me take or is it the one you took by yourself?